Where can I go from your Spirit?
Where can I flee from your presence?
If I go up to the heavens, you are there;
if I make my bed in the depths, you are there.
If I rise on the wings of the dawn,
if I settle on the far side of the sea,
even there your hand will guide me,
your right hand will hold me fast.
If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me
and the light become night around me,”
even the darkness will not be dark to you;
the night will shine like the day,
for darkness is as light to you. – Psalm 139:7-12
i am blessed. so. blessed. i have heard many of these soul uplifters over the year – “there’s always the rainbow after the storm”, “turn your worry into prayer”, “God has got the whole world in His hand”, “mourning may last for a night but joy comes in the morning” and many more. though i knew that these statements were true, i couldn’t pull myself to believe that there would be such bright colorful rainbow when all that surrounded me were clouds and thunderstorms.
but they are true.
now that i am watching the rainbow, i can’t help but give thanks to the God most high.
for this year, i am thankful for:
– God’s truth and promises through His word that i can count on in times of troubles. when all else fade into darkness, His word stand tall and bright, shining hope.
– God’s enduring love. despite my tantrums, fits-throwing anger and hopelessness, He sees my innermost-being and loves me. i am thankful He hasn’t given up on me.
– the 2nd chance. i made a terrible decision this year and caused havoc in the lives of many. i decided to quit working at compassion because i felt that i was more of a disappointment to those around me than a success. but it was a lie i shouldn’t have bought.with His grace, my boss didn’t give up on me altogether and asked me to reconsider. grace of a second chance was sweet but bought with a high price.
– my family. i never make marriage vow but my family has shown me what “in sickness and in health; in poverty and in wealth” means. i am thankful for the friendship and accountability i can share with my mom and sisters. they are an example of what a warm and loving family looks like. a lesson i learned from them – we love them at all costs. we don’t have to like what they are doing, and we are required to warn and exhort them, but no matter what, we stick together with them, stand by their sides and love them.
– my karen church. the friendship among youth group; the arena for me to use my talents; the unexpected love and care in the most unexpected circumstances and the fun experiences while serving the Lord together
– my job and renewed motivation. i know now that i am good and that i can be better. i shouldn’t give up on myself so easily when others around me have not. and i welcome the challenges because problems refine and mature me. i am not saying this with arrogance. the good start of something comes from being humble. i am willing to learn and grow, that is what i am saying.
– my friends at compassion. they held me, offered their shoulders, pulled me in for a moral lecture and many more when i was stumbling in the wilderness. they, as my family did, stuck together with me. God brought on a whole new level of christian friendship to me this year. sometimes you don’t like being vulnerable but it might be the only way you can be healed.
– privileges in life. i don’t have to be afraid i’ll get thrown out of a bus because i don’t have an ID card. i am financially covered when i go to see doctors. i get to eat what i want at the moment i want and don’t go hungry. i can even choose what i am going to eat for which meal. i can snuggle under warm blankets when it gets chilly outside and i’ve got a roof over my head, protecting me from the wind, sun and rain. i am paid to travel to different places to do what i love – writing and taking pictures.
…and the list will continue on as the journey with the Lord advances…
we have received so much. now it is time to return. i can’t think of any other way to end this post but ask you:
:: looking back over the year, what are you thankful for? ::
:: what are some ways you have chosen to bless others? ::